The Highs and Lows of Life


Part 1 of 2


There is this little known fact of life, that until you have reached the lowest points in your life do you really have a true appreciation for the high points in life. Many times we seem to get caught in the daily shuffle and not realize that until you have seen difficulty, or felt pain, that a true understanding of joy is very difficult to attain. Therefore, the fact remains that any type of emotional involvement, with ANYTHING in life, can bring extreme highs and extreme lows; but experiencing these lows and highs is better than experiencing nothing at all. Hence the Tennyson quote...
My life over the past several years 
plotted on a scale of 1-10, broken
 
down to a tenth of a point. 

Now, I in my live have experienced some tremendous lows. During those lows it was as if I was walking in a field filled with smoke and had no idea what the next step was going to look like or what it could bring. On the other side of the coin I have felt joy beyond joy. I once received advice from a manager to plot out my life according to joy and pain. So I developed a 
scale of 1-10, 1 being low and 10 being high, on how I felt. However, I found myself starting to compare times according to how I felt before or after the joy or difficulty had occurred. This is where the Tennyson quote is so powerful, all of my life experiences are relative to other experiences in life. 

We do not live in a vacuum. We will always have periods in our lives that are more trying and difficult than others; but that is what makes feeling joyful and happy so tremendously beautiful. During this "plotting experiment" I found myself realizing that if had not been for the tremendously low moments, I would not have learned to cope and move forward during the difficult moments. Leading to a true and real appreciation of the joyous moments. 


Therefore, while you are in the midst of your troubling time, know that the difficulty is only temporary. Because no one would be capable of appreciating truly good times in their lives if were not for the difficult times that have to be lived.

P.S. In hindsight, it may not have been all that bad! I am way better for it now...

Comments

TPG’s Most Popular post

Metamorphosis

Put the Fire Out from Inside the House